Believe it or not, pearls are more than just something you wear around your neck – they’re also extremely beneficial to your health. In fact, as far as I can see, they are probably going to be the new hot trend for 2017 into 2018.
Asian royalty and the rich have been using pearl powder for centuries to lighten and even out their skin. Pearl powder’s natural composition has something called keratinocyte cell proliferation, which when applied topically to skin, stimulates the regeneration of new skin cells. Pearl powder also has conchiolin which, when absorbed by the body, coverts into human collagen. Pearl powder has also been shown to enhance activity of Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), a powerful antioxidant enzyme that hunts free radicals and slows aging.
I’d also be remiss if I didn’t share how pearl powder has calming properties to the Shen (or spirit). Pearl powder's reputation is mostly as a major beauty tonic, because results of beautiful skin are undeniable, but lesser known is that pearls also have a marvelous reputation in China as a Shen tonic. Recent Chinese medical studies credit pearl as a mood stabilizer with the ability to relieve anxiety of the heart and mind.
Back to the topic of beauty - a lot of wellness trends that are popular in Asia don’t usually catch up to America for a few years (examples: BB cream, jade rolling, weight loss tea). However, pearl powder is already honored by the elite health crowd as one of the top pure herbs for beauty, and it is a secret ingredient in many of today’s top selling skincare creams, lotions, shampoos and conditioners. Just take a look at their ingredients. It is important to be aware of such an easy, quick, inexpensive tip anyone and everyone can do.
Now – how can you use it in your skincare routine? Pearl powder is very multipurpose and can enhance your current products. Here are some quick ideas on how you can easily incorporate it in your everyday routine:
- Stir it into your morning coffee or tea
- Mix some into your day or night cream (instant upgrade)
- Mash an avocado, stir some pearl powder in, and create a luxurious facial mask
- Stir some into your green juice
- Mix it into your soup (pearl powder is tasteless)
- Mix with your foundation or BB cream and instantly gain a luminous glow while minimizing your pores
- Pat it in with your skin oils for a luxurious night rehydration mask
- Dust a bit of pearl powder over your skin as you would a highlighter
- Mix a bit with sunscreen and pat into face for a naturally boosted sun protector
- As suggested by Vogue, combine raw honey and pearl powder and leave it on your face for 20 minutes. Your skin will just drink it up!
It is all natural, pure, efficient, and most of all – QUICK. You don’t need a lot to see the benefits, and a little will go a long way.